EX1 continued (notes from Lagonda Club Registar)
Le Mans 1949, AML enter 3 cars, DB2 prototypes, one with an LB engine, but no Lagonda in any form mentioned.
18th November 1949, EX2 was re-registered with the David Brown company and staying with them until 1962. This suggests that Hirst either sold it back or perhaps never paid for it in the first place.
28th November 1950, E. Hirst dies. and his brother A. E. Hirst carries on running the farm until his death in 1982. A possible 2-seater sports cars sits in one of the farm barn's until the barn collapses on it.
1981 Ian Harris buys a 2-seater sports car, from A. E. Hirst. Possibly suggesting that EX2 and EX1 were sold as a package deal to the brother E, Hirst back in February 1948. The car was purchased with no identity and in a poor state, so a 1949 registered saloon with a V5 document was canablised for parts and the identity transferred over to EX1. At this stage EX1 was considerd to be lost, possibly scrapped by the works in period.
In late 1987, the owner, Ian Harris was in touch with the Lagonda Club Registrar, due to many problems with standard parts not fitting, including a new head gasket. Suggesting at this time, the car still had an early prototype LB6 engine fitted, what a shame this was not stay with the car.
The car had no lamps or wiring for them. But it did have three holes for a night racing lamp fixed under where the number might be on the rear tail One front backplate drilled for wing attachment, the other not. The car with a blue pre-war radiator badge, and a possibly replaced post-war red Lagonda badge on the oil filler cap. At this time the rear torsion bars were shorter than standard and the front spring height also lower than normal, indicating they had been shortened.
The chassis had been set up to give negative camber at the rear.
Engine cam boxes a re plain, with no plug leading housing on inlet side.
The car with no instruments or seats at this stage, just a rev-counter cable. Engine has Autokleen oil filter, not used in production.
The chassis frame was made up of two channels back to back, with plate welded on top and bottom. The "restorer" had filled all spare holes in with weld, not realizing their significance in verifying LBS EX1
In July 1988, on cleaning down the frame, "LBS EX1" found in very small stamped letters. Similar style and spacing to those seen on the V12 prototypes.
The car resprayed green and sent to Sotheby's London on 4 12 1988 for sale, unsold at auction. Car already subject to further improvements, with replaced timing chain cover, resulting in new engine mounts being made; bonnet with air-scoop on bonnet, but for no practical purpose. The car possibly originally fitted with a Cotal box, with witness holes corresponding to position of external band adjustment holes visible on closer examination.
In 1995 the car appeared at auction again, now painted black at Coy's on 21st March. The rear suspension now with standard splined ends, the engine changed for a 3.0 VB6J engine, and also sporting cycle wings lamps and registered RSU 420.
Sadly, over the last 20 years, owners have added even more standard Lagonda parts, so although that remains of the original car is the chassis frame.